Tegiwa brake stopper

aideo

Morning everyone,

I bought my DC5 three weeks ago. Have wanted an Artic Blue one with blue Recaros for a few years now after seeing one in a neighbouring village. Was randomly checking pistonheads the other week and this came up for good money. Needed four tyres and tax etc but now thats all done i love it. Have a few irritating little rattles to fix and have had to re-seal the tail lights (this forum has some great info on so thanks for that) but its getting there. I aim to start a project thread soon.

Anyway i used to run around in 200sx s14a's.Most of which i put short shifters in. Been looking into doing this to the teg and plan on using the Tegiwa unit. Whilst on Tegiwa's website i saw that they do a brake stopper for the DC5. One thing i had thought about the DC5 is that the brakes felt a bit wooden at times. So say i have braided lines throughout but not checked this yet. Did a bit of research into what a brake stopper does and understand the theory, just wondering if anybody on here is using one and has any feedback.

Many thanks in advance.

nick's-cw

Advanced Member
Welcome ;)

mine was delivered yesterday, i'll try & get it fitted at the weekend & let you no what its like

Matt (Tegiwa Imports) had one fitted to his teg, hopefully he will see this & comment

T

Tegiwa Imports

Hi mate, I did indeed have a brake stopped fitted to my teg. I didn't drive it without one but they have always made a difference in the cars I've had, including the S2000 I have now. If you get a friend to press on the brake pedal hard whilst you watch from the engine bay, you'll see it move, especially if you already have braided lines. This wasted energy is what the brake stopper removes :)

HTH

Matt

firthy22

Advanced Member
Interesting. Although i have upgraded to braided lines and Dixcel slotted discs, I still find my brakes not as sharp as expected, will watch this thread with interest and might invest in one of these at japfest next week.

DC5_Bonson

Advanced Member
Hi mate, I did indeed have a brake stopped fitted to my teg. I didn't drive it without one but they have always made a difference in the cars I've had, including the S2000 I have now. If you get a friend to press on the brake pedal hard whilst you watch from the engine bay, you'll see it move, especially if you already have braided lines. This wasted energy is what the brake stopper removes :)

HTH

Matt
Hi, do you mind posting a picture of how it fits onto the car please? Thanks

maxvr6

Advanced Member
Ive been waiting for this for ages, i wasnt aware there was fianlly one available. The one i have on my DC2 definately makes a difference and last monday at Castle Combe although my brakes performed really well (tarox f2000 disc with pagic black pads, hel lines and RBF600 fluid), they could really have done with more feel. I will be picking one of these up asap.

Only thing im concerned about is where this is mounted, i already have a oem strut brace in conjunction with a mugen one, will there be enough space?

T

Tegiwa Imports

If there's anyone local to Stoke then TI next door will pop one on for you and I'll take some pics. I can't find a pic of mine fitted at all :(

Matt

hondazzz

Advanced Member
Ive been waiting for this for ages, i wasnt aware there was fianlly one available. The one i have on my DC2 definately makes a difference and last monday at Castle Combe although my brakes performed really well (tarox f2000 disc with pagic black pads, hel lines and RBF600 fluid), they could really have done with more feel. I will be picking one of these up asap.

Only thing im concerned about is where this is mounted, i already have a oem strut brace in conjunction with a mugen one, will there be enough space?

add on that the ETD bracket...and thats why i am asking for fitting photos :p

maxvr6

Advanced Member
Ha! I have the Tegiwa ETD, totally forgot about that, defo need fitting photos.

Matt could you please describe exactly how and where this is fitted, the website simply states the bulkhead and the brake cylinder? If its bolted to the same place the ETD is, what the thickness of the stopper?

nick's-cw

Advanced Member
i'm now stuck, i've just offered it up to where i think it fits, not a chance, I'll have another look when the engine cools down

JamesSSB

Advanced Member
Would be interested in one of these also as been waiting a while for one.
Pictures please.

firthy22

Advanced Member
[quote name='nick's-cw' timestamp='1336208447' post='274795']
I've sussed it, I'll get some pics up later on
[/quote]

Stop being a slacker :) we are all desperately waiting for this photo, just hope it fits with Cusco 4 pt and Mugen 2 pt strut braces.

aideo

Cheers for all the responses guys. Definitely looking at getting one of these now. Been tidying up a few other bits today. Narrowed down my irritating squeaky off throttle rattle to the heat shield behind the engine today. Get that sorted after work tomorrow and order up some bits. Cheers again.

nick's-cw

Advanced Member
lol

it'll fit fine with any brace, it'll be easier to remove any after market brace to fit

start by removing the two nuts & washers that hold the brake reservoir to the master brake cylinder

then remove the throttle cable support bracket to the left of the brake reservoir, no need to worry about the nut in the wheel arch

offer the round end of the brake stopper into position first from underneath, push it past the fixing hole so you can located the two holes at the back onto the two bolts on the front of the master cylinder

then start the shiny new stainless alan key fixing through the round bit of the stopper, don't fully tighten until the existing two washers & nut are back on the master cylinder, the nut on the right as a real nightmare to put back in

this one - nightmare

when your happy everythings tight, admire your handy work

my car won't be moving now till tuesday morning, i'll try it out on my way to work & let you all no :)

jcamerz

Advanced Member
I'd be interested in one of these too but have a ETD in place not sure if this is a issue?

maxvr6

Advanced Member
That really took me a while to get my head around, it's a completely different bracket mounted to a completely different place compared to my DC2. Works by bracing the bulkhead to the strut tower to stop the flex, as opposed to just mounting to the strut tower and sitting millimetres away from the end of the cylinder to restrict the flex, if that makes sense?

But looking at how close the master cylinder sits to the strut mount you can see why it's been designed this way, seems to be a better design than the conventional brake stoppers IMO, but also doest get in the way of strut braces or ETD's so best of both worlds.

Looks right to me, but it would be good if Matt could confirm this is the correct fitting please.

Cue Matt?

hondazzz

Advanced Member
hmmm ok it seems that ETD or any strut bar has nothing to do with it... so it will fit fine..

i really need someone to depress my brakes to see it moving because i cant "accept" the fact it does ,haha :)