irritating rattle at 4500 to 5500 revs

Mikwwt

dc5 makes annoying rattle between 4500 and 5500 rpm (or maybe its just drowned out by the time it get above 5500!). sounds as though its coming from the region of the nearside engine compartment-something loose but not i think/hope any serious mechanical defect.Tried loking around while the engine is being revved but not found anything. I know its not much to go on but anybody had similar experience or any ideas? ? loose heat shield?

Chewy

Advanced Member
Do you have a Gruppe M or Gruppe M Scuttle fitted?

Have you checked all the exhaust and driveshaft heat shields?

Granty1056

Advanced Member
Hi.

I had this situation which turned out to be a cracked exhaust manifold heat shield. If you have the OEM manifold and the heat shield is intact peer over the back of the engine to see if there are any cracks. I got a mate to increase the revs while the car was stood and when the noise started I pressed on the heat shield with a piece of wood. The noise stopped.

It was sorted by fitting a large penny sized washer under one of the stud heads where a short crack could be seen.

I had a DC 2 that had a similar rattle and that turned out to be the cat heat shield.

Regards.

carl hammond

Advanced Member
As said normally heat shields or similar on these cars, that or join in the exhaust (check they are all ok and as they should be and nothing has come loose)

spooke

Advanced Member
If none of the above fixes it, it could be your clutch springs rattling. Had this on mine and it got to a point where I could pretty much hear it all the time apart from when the engine noise overpowered it - my clutch was only at 44k miles too!

Replaced it and it went, slowly coming back now at around 10-12k miles into it... if you do get an uprated clutch lol

Mikwwt

Thanks for replies all,. hadn't considered clutch springs and I'll leave exploring that till last as its likely to be the most expensive. heat shields first then going to arrange with my local friendly mechanic to get car up on ramps to look from underneath if further investigation from above doesn't help. last attempt i asked my wife to rev the engine for me ( who does know how to drive) but she reckoned she was too busy and sent my 14 year old daughter out to do the job, which to be blunt wasn't too successful.