FTO Owner looking to change possibly

Wootty

Advanced Member
HI.

FTO owner here going for a test drive in a DC5 tomorrow.

I've been looking for a replacement for the FTO (Which I love to bits) and had almost settled on a older REX7. Then saw a lovely red 2001 import Integra Type R in the local import dealers.

The FTO OC seem to think that there is not much difference in performance between the two - what do you guys think and what should i look out for tomorrow?

Any help much appreciated

T666YPR

First off, :xwavey:
welcome aboard.

I thought,unmodded,the FTO was the equivalent of the DC2

Not having owned an FTO I can't comment.

Think Chris (Funky Prodoct) has owned both,maybe he could add some comparison info for you :)

Wootty

Advanced Member
T666YPR said:
First off, :xwavey:
welcome aboard.

I thought,unmodded,the FTO was the equivalent of the DC2

Not having owned an FTO I can't comment.

Think Chris (Funky Prodoct) has owned both,maybe he could add some comparison info for you :)
Thanks for the welcome. reading through the forum it seems like a good bunch and as helpful as the FTOOC are. I've posted a similar thread there seeing if he picks it up.

I'll wait and see what the test drive is like.

Oh - and is RED still the rarest colour xthumbup

Duncs

my mate who is in the car trade has owned his FTO, (mivec + manual) has owned his for 4 years, (never known him to keep a car so long, and i have known him for 20 years) and he loves it, drove my DC5 and came back with a very big smile, and thought it was very good,
didn't make him go and buy one though!
so perhaps not that far apart, i have driven his FTO many times, i like it, it didn't make me buy one though.
do you get what i mean :?

Wootty

Advanced Member
If you DeCat a DC5 do you have to to put it back on for the MOT? I'm guessing the answer is yes as it was an registration date issue with the FTO and the MOT database values for your car.

dan the man

Advanced Member
Im getting a red one in a few weeks...good to see your a rare chooser like me..lol

I have a DC2, never driven an FTO but seen a nice white one round our way, we always nod but havnt played.....as yet!!

good luck. dan 8)

corbie

Advanced Member
Performace wise I think the DC5 is faster. I met one once and he was trying but the DC5 pulled a fair few car lengths and this was when mine was stock.

Test drive one and you will see. :D

eg3+3

I've got a FTO and my friend got a DC5, we both tried it many times 0-100mph (in private road of cos). The DC5 is definately faster, but not by much. But the tunning potential is much better for the DC5. Now he got toda manifold, gruppM airbox, HKS cat back and Hondata Kpro, the dc5 is much faster now! :shock:

Wootty

Advanced Member
Well just got back from my test drive.

Very nice drive - I though my FTO was a firm ride but that was very tight - and handling was superb. Though did not get to do too much twisty stuff with the salesman there.

Bit of a screamer but also very manageable round town and the slow roads.

So in the end - I DID IT....

Picking it up on Thursday - after which I'll post a Hello in the Newbie section...

Now just got to break the news to the kids and the FTOOC

Duncs

the kids will be happy enough, well as for the FTOOC i'm sure they will survive!
what part of the world you from then?

Wootty

Advanced Member
Duncs said:
the kids will be happy enough, well as for the FTOOC i'm sure they will survive!
what part of the world you from then?
Well the kids are 19 and they'll be peeved off cos they thought they had a chance i'd let them drive the FTO :D

I'm down Bristoile area gert lush peechy swell...!

Do you guys hold regular tyre licking session (mini meets). Feel the need to meet up and see what can be done - well aftter Thursday anyway.

Had to go for a lie down earlier as i was not sure i'd done the right thing. But I'm sure its going to be good.

mikegsi

Staff member
i think you shoulda stuck with the fto.....

too many people getting these dc5's now!!!!

i know you'll enjoy it!!
:D

dan the man

Advanced Member
WELL DONE.

Im well excited and dont get mine for a week or 2!!
They are a truly great shape and even greater power of dreams car...well they are to 24yr old me! vtec all the way.... :xvtec:

Id love to be your son!

DAN :wink:

Wootty

Advanced Member
dan the man said:
Id love to be your son!

DAN :wink:
erm..! :? didn't know this was that kind of forum...!

Though looking at his girlfriend so would I. :lol:

Wootty

Advanced Member
Evil_Weasel said:
Welcome mate, few of us from the Bristol area, which Importer did you use then?
Went back to car-imports-direct in Ashton Gate. Its where i got my FTO from. Did not deliberately go there to get the teg - i was just having a look round and was going to go for a black Rex7 on the mazda forum. Then talking to the guy there he showed me the red DC5 . They made me a good offer on the FTO, took it for a drive today and that was it - robert is your mothers brother...!

So hope to meet up sometime - I'm based in Clevedon but travel about a bit.

dobber

Advanced Member
I know its a little late but i used to have an FTO. GPX Manual.

Good cars, handle extreamly well and sound lovely (V6) Though they are not as fast as teh DC5 and for that matter not as fast as the CTR. There used to be quite a few vids of FTO's vs DC2's and in all the DC2 was quicker. The FTO seemed to get away marginally faster but on a 1/4 mile the DC2 pulled away.

Put it this way, you WONT be sorry and you've made the right decision :D